Friday, October 21, 2011

My Second Night on the Road


          Around four o’clock I started searching for my first campsite and was getting a little down when I couldn’t find one. Was I going to stay in another hotel tonight? KOA next exit a sign stands out on the highway. I exit hungry and cold in hope to find a cheap place to stay for the night. On my way to the KOA I see the beautiful country surrounding me and I start thinking I should be able to find a spot off the beaten path. As I near the KOA I give in only to find when I get there it’s going to be $30 per night. I thank the lady and continued on my journey.
          I see a little road that looks as if it goes up one of the surrounding mountains. Turn here something whispered to me, so I followed my inner whisper. I began to loose hope when all I could see were houses but my inner whisper was still pushing me forward. The road turned to dirt and I thought to myself “I should be able to find something here” finally about 5 miles up this windy dirt road I see a spot that I think will work out. I park my bike and walk into the forest area. The ground was soft so I would have to be careful getting in but it would make a great bed. Looking around further I see the perfect spot under a bunch of trees. It looked as if it could have been a den for an elk or a moose, the perfect place to spend the night. Private enough I could pee out in the open and covered enough the wind couldn’t blow me away. So I hopped back on my bike pull off the road and set up camp.


           My camp was set up and I was really proud of it. I tried to send pictures to my mom to show her I was doing it, but there seemed to be little to no cell service. I was out in the wilderness alone. It was ok though; kind of like one of my hunting trips except it was the first time I had camped since I was a kid. I ate my dry top ramen and watched the sunset. Being in the moment I didn’t think to take pictures of the beautiful sunset that brought the silhouette of the trees to life, instead I just sat and enjoyed the moment. The clouds started coming in so I checked my tarp to make sure it was secured to the trees.


          That night the skies opened up and I thought for sure I was going to be soaked. Being the storm lover that I am I truly enjoyed being in the excitement of it. The lightning was touching the trees and ground all around me. Filling my tent with the natural strobe lights of a party. The cracking of the thunder filled the air and created the wonderful bass to follow the strobe, listening to the rain falling on my tarp creating a beautiful beat. I lay there enjoying the symphony of the storm. With only one concern, I lay there wondering if my camp was going to hold up to the weather. I finally fell asleep to this wonderful orchestra of nature.


          Three-a.m. I woke up startled by the sounds of coyotes singing their hunting songs all around me. It seemed as if the wild dogs had surrounded me. A fear started to build inside of me. What if the coyotes attacked me, what if there were wolves in the area, what if that’s what they were singing about? As I lay there scared, listening to their songs hoping they would leave me alone, I heard something spectacular, the sound of dogs drinking water. They were right outside drinking the water that collected on my tarp. Then the singing started up again. An overwhelming feeling of wonder joined my fear and washed it away. I peaked out of the mesh on my front door to watch three of them dance away to join their brothers in the hunt. I had become part of their world and they meant me no harm. What an amazing feeling to be so close to the nature. Feeling secure I went back to sleep wondering if they would come back for another visit.


          As I woke I listened carefully to my surroundings to see if could hear any animals nearby. I peaked my head out for a quick search to find the animals of the morning were busy elsewhere. I stepped out and started to take my wet tarp down. It was cold outside and very early. As the tarp came down I noticed the sun rising. I propped myself up on my motorcycle to enjoy the beauty of nature before I would join the road again. With everything I packed in back on my bike I set off.

No comments:

Post a Comment